On Saturday 26 December 2020 12:35:17 Dave Cole wrote:

> I'm sure those could be made to work if they are of an acceptable Ohms
> range, but how do you mount them?
> They are just elements.
> Most braking resistors on larger machines are in cages on the top or
> side of the control panels.
> For small drives, they are oftentimes just screwed to the panel
> backplane,   But then they don't get that hot.
>
> By the time you fab the cage, you can almost buy one new with a cage
> and that is rated.

Which is what I did, but its not in a cage, its encapsulated in a 1x2 alu
extrusion about 8" long with bolt holes in the end tabs. $29.95 + ship
from a seller in KY. With leads long enough I can hang it on the
plumbers strapping holding up the shelf the electrics are on above the
6040.

> Dave
>
> On 12/24/2020 1:36 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> > On 12/24/2020 11:43 AM, Dave Cole wrote:
> >> Automation Direct sells braking resistors.
> >> https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/drives_-a-_so
> >>ft_starters/ac_variable_frequency_drives_(vfd)/vfd_accessories/braki
> >>ng_units_-a-_resistors
> >>
> >> Looks like the cheapest one is about $30.
> >
> > I've used stovetop elements from eBay for about $12 or so.  If they
> > are good enough for
> > Haas in mass manufacture, they ought to be good enough for me.
> >
> > Jon

 - Louis D. Brandeis