On Thu, 7 Jan 2021, Ralph Stirling wrote:

Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 23:37:03 +0000
From: Ralph Stirling <ralph.stirl...@wallawalla.edu>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Rpi 3b+ to 7i90hd

I assumed that the 7i90hd would recognize SPI
directly, like the 7c81 does.  Do I have to go
dig up a parallel port computer from somewhere
and get at least mesaflash running on it just
so I can get spi working for the pi?  That is an
unfortunate hurdle.  I don't see anything in the
manual about needing to load the correct bitstream
over parallel in order to use spi.  In fact, I read
this in the manual:

Yep, you need to have SPI firmware loaded in the 7I90HD
default 7I90HD firmware is EPP, so a device with a EPP
interface is needed to load the SPI configuration
I would suggest loading the SPI interface into the
secondary flash leaving the primary as EPP for a fallback

That is, power the 7I90 with the flash jumper in the "P" position
them move the jumper to "S" before loadin the SPI firmware

"Linux and Windows utility programs mesaflash and mesaflash.exe are provided to
write configuration files to the 7I90HD EEPROM via the RS-422 interface and
LBP16. The
linux utility can also write configuration files via the EPP interface. These
files depend on
a simple SPI interface built into both the standard user FPGA bitfiles and the
fallback
bitfile."

Well there are 2 SPI interfaces, the HM2 compatible host interface (which needs specific SPI firmware) and the SPI Flash memory interface (which is in HM2 memory space and allows access to the SPI flash chip)

I can tack on a pullup to SDO.  I have put four
scope probes on the four signals, and see data
when interrogating the 7c81, but not the 7i90hd.
The clock from the pi is correct.

Thanks again.
-- Ralph