To answer some questions I looked it up...

This is an STM32 microcontroller.   The firmware makes it enumerate to a
PC/Mac/Linux machine as a USB storage device.   You program this this be
drag-and-drop the binary file to the storage.   (or do a "cp" from
the command line)

What software environment?   You seem to have a wide choice.   The Arduino
IDE could work or you could use Gcc from the command line or STM' "STM
Cube" but my favorite is Mbed from ARM.     Some of the RTOS' would work
too, like FreeRTOS.

Supported input power 1.8–5.5V DC.  Most pins are "5 volt tolerant" some
are 3.3 volt only.

This is basically a replacement fro the $3 "Blue pill" but I think this is
done better and has MUCH better documentation.   Read everything here
https://datasheets.raspberrypi.org/pico/pico_datasheet.pdf

What to do with these?   I'm thinking they will have much more use on robot
projects then on machine tool projects.    But in the machine tool world
they could be sued are a kind of "standard" that performs the same
functions we see done by Mesa cards today but at a much lower cost.    At
$4 we can afford to place one on each axis.

My experience with the M0 is that it is powerful enough to run PID
controllers for two motors with the encoders are running at about 10,000
less per second and the motors are being controlled with PWM.     You can
to up to ~10 Mhz pule rates if you use the built-in hardware quadrature
decoders.  These do the encoder reading in hardware and a re much faster
than software interrupts.   But I think the M0 has only one channel of this.

The main advantage of these vs. others is (1) good documentation, (2)
trusted source, (3) low cost.

About the cost.  $4 is low but look also at the Raspberry Pi Zero.  It
costs only $5 and runs Linux.  It is dramatically more powerful then this
"pico" but Linux is just poor at "real-time" and the Pico is outstandingly
good at "real-time".    So they are complementary.    It would be fun to
build a $9 robot controller using both.   I think I will.

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 8:04 AM Matthew Herd <herd.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed.  It looks promising, but no more so than a "Blue Pill" or similar
> boards.  Also, what voltages does it operate on?  I wasn’t able to find
> that in the literature but I didn’t dig into their documentation that
> deeply.  Nonetheless, it seems like info that should be part of the specs.
>
> > On Jan 21, 2021, at 10:41 AM, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 01/21/2021 02:43 AM, Sven Wesley wrote:
> >> For you people out there who use an Arduino or RPi to communicate with
> >> parts of the machine (tool changers, doors etc). Here's a cute and
> really
> >> low priced alternative.
> >> https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-pico/
> >>

> > The blurb is pretty sketchy on details.  What is the programming
> environment like?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jon

Chris Albertson