From: andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>
Sent: March 11, 2021 5:12 AM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC) <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Gear cutting setup on low-cost HF mill??

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 at 06:31, Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the best kind of steel to buy that gives a combination of
> machinability on a small mill and strength.

I will concur with Marcus, when making starter gears for the Ner-a-Car I used
EN8.
 EN8 is the old name (ie, before 1970) name for 080M40 In turn 080M40 is
similar  to US 1039, 1040, 1042, 1043, 1045

> Given my setup, a HF mill and manual (non-CNC) HF mini lathe which
> would have the best result, a hob or an involute cutter?

You can only hob if you can set the hob spindle at an angle to the gear axis.
Hobbing should give a perfect profile at any tooth count, but it more difficult
to arrange.
You definitely can hob on a mini-mill, though. https://youtu.be/ZhICrb0Tbn4

> The really hard part that I don't know how to do is a ring gear.   I can't
> figure out how to cut internal teeth.

Cutting internal teeth isn't something that can be done with a hob _or_ an
involute cutter. You need a Fellows gear shaper, or at least to find a way to
set up the equivalent on your CNC mill.
https://youtu.be/72YgpVF4O7g
I don't think it is impossible, with the cutting tool in the rotary axis,
circularly interpolating around the blank.
It might be simpler to order one wire-spark eroded for a one-off or a stock
part from HPC or similar.

--
atp
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for