Hi Gene!

Anno domini 2021 Sun, 21 Mar 13:10:58 -0400
 Gene Heskett scripsit:
> Greetings all;
>
> What do we have that can convert a .stl file into gcode for a mill or a
> lathe?
>
> I think I have the 4 internal pieces ready to install in some sort of a
> housing, so I ordered a couple hacksaw blades for my bandsaw and bought
> some 2" thick alu bar for the output side of this thing.
>
> I have some 1" that will make the input half of the housing, make it up
> square so I'll have room for corner bolts to mount it with. But with the
> need for 2 bearings on the output, seperated by enough space to be
> rigid, I'll do it from 2" stock. But I think I'd like to make 2, one
> small enough to drive with a nema 17. But I'll need to make a metal
> armature for that because these 85 oz 17's I have run pretty hot. Too
> hot for plastic bearing carriers. So far I haven't stumbled over a 3
> phase nema 17, yet. But I keep looking.
>
> Now that I have at least a Mr so and so familiarity with openscad, no
> means an expert, I think I'd like to see about drawing the housing parts
> up in openscad, and possibly generating some gcode from its .stl output.
>
> Can pycam do that?
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

If your Design is 2.5D then you can cut your design in openscad with
"projection(cut=true)". That will give you a DXF that can be fed into
"dxf2gcode". This works for anything with planes parallel to Z (on a mill), but
not for angled surfaces.

3D operation with pycam works, but produces most inefficient toolpaths. I was
told that FreeCADs "Path"-Workbench is quite usable, but I have never done a
piece on myself.

Nik

--
Please do not email me anything that you are not comfortable also sharing with
the NSA, CIA ...