> From: Peter C. Wallace [mailto:p...@mesanet.com]
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2021, John Dammeyer wrote:
> > Is there something newer than this?
> > http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/motion.9.html#MOTION%20PARAMETERS
> >
> > The reason I ask is for both my LinuxCNC with MESA 7i92H and the MachineKit
> > on the BBB pins like:
> > motion.spindle-speed-out-abs
>
> Those are older spindle names
>

> > aren't documented in the above document.  But they are what I believe was
> > created
> > What's in the document is
> > spindle.M.spindle-speed-out-abs    (where M is 0..n)
> >

> This changed sometime in 2.8
>
> > So there's a disconnect from this manual compared to what is in both the
> > MachineKit and LinuxCNC 2.8.  Both the PC and the Pi4 version.
>
> The manual reflects the current release (2.8.1)

The manual says absolutely nothing about which release it supports.  The
implication is that if I changed from 2.8 to 2.8.1 I have to rewrite the HAL
and INI files?  Is there a document that describes what needs to be changed?

Where is the manual for 2.8 then?  Say I don't want to update to 2.8.1 can I
get a copy of the manual that uses the old naming?

> > The PNCconf generated the initial hal file for me and the stepconf generated
> > the parallel port version.  Maybe those programs haven't been updated for
> > years and the new motion software still supports the 'old' way?
>
> If you update to 2.8.1, both motion and pncconf use the new spindle names
> (like spindle.M.spindle-speed-out-abs)

So all the work put into a particular cudtom HAL and INI file combination is
tossed out the door unless you remain totally stock and use pncconf to recreate
the system?

Does anyone know if the BeagleBone MachineKit has also been updated?

Thanks
John