On 13.05.21 13:26, Valerio Bellizzomi wrote:
On Thu, 2021-05-13 at 09:54 +0100, andy pugh wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2021 at 07:01, Feral Engineer <
theferalengin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I think doing something as
dramatic as changing so much of the source code that it could
essentially
brick a lot of machines (at least for the short term) should come
with a
major release rather than a 2.x release
EMC2 v8 to EMC2 v9 would be a major release :-)

The changes between 2.7 and 2.8 were massive compared to this.

I think that there is some misunderstanding of the dangers here:
Python 3 is available on all platforms currently supported by
LinuxCNC and
at at least v3.5 on all platforms supported by Master.

Python 3 would be listed in the package dependencies, and
automatically
installed.

Python 2 is already gone.
https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/#:~:text=We%20are%20volunteers%20who%20make,a%20security%20problem%20in%20it
.
LinuxCNC needs to adapt to this.

There is no danger of "bricking" a machine, LinuxCNC already works
with
Python 3 and several of the existing GUIs. (including Axis)

GTK2 support is already tenuous, there are some packages that we are
having
to backport ourselves via the LinuxCNC repositories (glade-gtk2,
python-gtksourceview, python-rsvg). That isn't a viable long-term
solution,
we need to only have dependencies that are actually packaged for the
target
OS.

I think there is no other choice than to follow their guide ASAP.

"Porting Python 2 Code to Python 3"

https://docs.python.org/3/howto/pyporting.html

I think there is some misunderstanding. python3 is not the issue, most python3 problems have been solved over a year ago.

buildbot even runs the tests with python3: http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/buildbot/builders/1660.rip-buster-python3

users would not even notice the change, unless they have custom python code.

The issue is gtk. you cannot use gtk2 with python3. its just a unlucky coincidence that both things are happening at the same time.