Wow.  I now remember watching that video before.  That was part of the
incentive to be able to do power tapping. Very impressive.  But still scary.

Not sure how to peck tap.  In playing though I did move away and then rerun on
the same hole a few times.  It didn't muck up the thread.

Question which has to do with spindle speeds.  I'm guessing that the Z follows
the speed of the spindle so as long as it doesn't speed up or slow down in a
non-trackable way that the PID on the spindle isn't super important.

Like if I use the step/dir control and the motor is turning 1000 RPM and the
spindle 1027 RPM that the threading will still behave exactly the same way.
OTOH, adding the PID to the step/dir should theoretically control the step rate
so that the system tracks the commanded velocity.

But, and here's the question which should probably be on a different subject
line:  If I change pulleys so the spindle is now at 70% of motor speed what's
the easiest way to tell the HAL file to use different constants?

And honestly I haven't done any online searching to see if this has been
answered.  Because of belt length I can set a proximity switch to catch that
the motor is in a different position from the other pulley combination so a
gpio input could somehow select a set of constants.

John