Hi Bari,

Though I'm no expert, your goal is admirable.  I would say typically I do
tend to use the larger tools first when feasible (i.e. excluding situations
where I might have to drill first).  I try to use an adaptive tool path
whenever possible too.  I then move to one of many finishing strategies
(contour, horizontal, pencil, etc.)

I think traditional roughing was probably rather raster oriented.  Probably
just work in a constant stepover and depth of cut and go round the part in
a roughly square path.  However, I don't know because I have very limited
experience with CAM packages prior to Fusion360 about 6 years ago when
adaptive was pretty much standard.  I dabbled with MasterCAM in about 2005,
but I can't recall if there was an adaptive tool path back then.  I don't
believe there was, but I never dug that deep.

Matt

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 5:10 PM Bari <bari00...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm am working on creating open software for creating tool paths for 4+
> axis machines.
>

> What are your approaches to machining when using 4+ axis machines?
>

> Hog out as much as possible first using the largest roughing tools first
> then moving to smaller?
>

> Any fine points to consider?
>

> One vendor of 5-axis CAM markets adaptive technology to speed up the
> process. Not exactly sure what they used to do when creating paths with
> their older software vs newer.

Matthew Herd
Email:  herd.m...@gmail.com
Cell:  610-608-8930