Yes, I know I often fiddle with the output of Cura to do things like switch off
the bed heater after the first few layers, there's probably a setting in Cura
that does that but I haven't found it yet.  The point is that slicers generally
have more settings than CAM programs because they have to.

I posted an OT about this before, but there are people working on a different
approach where you basically draw a simple part (you wouldn't bother to open
your CAD package for)  and g code is produced.  It's the equivalent of
"conversational" CNC for simple jobs, fascinating project if nothing else:

https://hackaday.com/2021/07/19/3d-print-in-the-air-with-a-little-software-support/

More info:
https://github.com/analysis230/analysis230.github.io

I think it runs in a web browser like this:

https://analysis230.github.io/index.html

Martin

________________________________
From: Rob C

the 3d printer gcode is understandable, and you could handball simple
shapes (I've done a couple for various test and setup things)..... but you
would really struggle to do the infill as well as a slicer to still provide
strength and minimise infill

https://3dprinterly.com/what-is-the-best-infill-pattern-for-3d-printing/

being an additive process you couldn't run it through a mill..... as it
sort of works in reverse (and you'd end up with a pocket if you flipped the
z direction)

but we sort of digress..... from just running something like marlin to
running lcnc comparison.... as gcode is essentially just motion with a bit
of additional icing on top.

(if there was a board for Mesa hardware to take my tmc2209 drives (or I had
the time to interface one to a 7i92 I'm happy to convert my machine to
linuxcnc and run some cura gcode through it)