The other option of course is just to toss out the motor and switch to say the
130SM-M1525MAL from Bergerda rated at 3.8kW (divided by 750W/HP) is 5HP at 2500
RPM.
Runs off 220VAC 13.5A circuit.
With the 2500 line encoder can do step/dir as slow as you want although at
really slow RPM the torque does drop off a little bit.
http://www.autoartisans.com/MotorDrives/130SeriesACServoMotor.pdf

I'm running a smaller version on my mill the 110AM-M0630MAL which is 1.8kW at
3000 RPM
http://www.autoartisans.com/MotorDrives/110SeriesACServoMotor.pdf
I had it stall once with 1:1 on the mill when breaking through 1/4" steel place
with a 1/2" drill bit.  I think I was running 100RPM and the flutes caught and
the motor faulted as the drill bit locked tight as it broke through.

Changed up to 300 RPM for the rest of the holes without an issue but it may
have broken through differently at that RPM too.

I do wonder if there's a bit of Sears Horse Power going on here too since
220VAC * 6A for my motor works out to 1320W which is only 1.76HP and the motor
is rated as 1.8kW.  But then the motor is also significantly smaller (and
quieter) than the 2HP single phase heavy cast iron unit it replaced.

In either case, I'm really happy with this motor and drive from Bergerda
http://en.bergerda.com/

I currently have a 3 phase 1HP with VFD on my lathe but if I need really slow
RPM I still switch in the back gear.  Otherwise with the lowest belt speed and
the VFD I haven't had problems.  But for my mill a 3 phase 2HP motor, VFD and
shipping costs were more expensive than the Bergerda.

John