Differential.  Yes with the spindle.  Installed 2 years ago and then tested
learned that the US Digital Encoder wasn't adequate.  Changed to CUI encoder.
Problems went away.    Repeatable and accurate motion.  The Shumatech DRO-350
matched LCNC.

Only recently when doing this latest project has it suddenly started giving
problems and they were repeatable with or without the spindle running.

Now after unplugging and plugging in the CUI connector and putting everything
back together is it working properly as it did originally.  So I'm going to
guess that there is an intermittent in the wiring in the connector that
surfaces with vibration.  Perhaps one of the differential connections opens up.
 That could explain why the errors only accumulate in one direction.   Just
guessing here.

I expect it will happen again.  I will make an extra adaptor cable.  Don't want
to replace randomly.  That never really solves problems.  Just hides them until
some other time.

John