I was working at upgrading the spindle on a machine.  The old spindle was 9kw
the new one is 11kw.  This is a Yaskawa 626MC5 drive and a 24000rpm 11kw router
spindle.  At first I tired test running it without adjusting any of the VFD
settings.  The first test, running a spindle run in program, failed on the
first rpm step after a couple minutes, with a VFD over current alarm.  I then
dug into the VFD settings, and made some adjustments (mostly adjusting the max
current settings.) same result.  Then changed the base voltage setting, first
try I went the wrong way, and that made the current draw worse, so I shut it
down right away before any alarms.  I then moved the base voltage down, and
that lowed the low speed current draw to within the specs for the VFD.  Next
thing I notice I smell something hot, I quick open up the cabinet and the
braking resistor is melting down.  The drive is rated for 22.5A and according
to its screen it was only outputting about 17-18A and wasn't even braking at
the time.

Where did I go wrong?  I've ran undersized VFDs numerous times without issue, I
thought it just limited your max power.  Did I mess something up in the drive
earlier when I set the base voltage wrong and the drive was trying to output
30+A?

We have a new braking resistor ordered, but what about the drive?  I'm afraid
to just hook it up and try it, for fear it will do it again.  Can I test it
without the braking resitor?

Todd Zuercher
P. Graham Dunn Inc.<http://www.pgrahamdunn.com/index.php>
630 Henry Street