Greetings all;
As most of you know, I built a servo from scratch for a BS-1.

But I am not at all happy with its performance.
It is a motor with a worm output, driving the worm of the bs-1. And it
has an A/B quad encoder in it.

But I must rather severely limit its run speed because the PID doesn't
see the null coming near fast enough to slow it and stop a couple
arcseconds early. I can't allow it to use reverse to stop as the motor
seems to be a near short circuit then, crowbarring the power supply,
causing a 2 to 3 minute dead time for the 450 watt psu to cool, so I
must limit its speed to disallow its use of reverse to accomplish the
stop.  With 2 worms in series the scale for a 360 degree full turn is of
coarse huge.  If it could be throttled to a gradual stop by anticipating
the coming null, I could probably run it 2 to 4x faster for a cruising
speed.

So my question is, which of the pid inputs would if raised, better
anticipate the approaching null, slowing it over the last 5 angular
minutes of a turn, ideally to a stop within an arc-second of the command
from the gcode?

Thanks all.

 - Louis D. Brandeis