Gene is getting good results with his 3-phase steppers and no PID control
in LCNC because the 3-phase steppers have internal PID position control
loops in the motor driver electronics.  These motors have an encoder wheel
for feedback.  So these steppers are basically the same as a servo with
feedback implemented on the servo driver.

>From my experience with motion control (robots), the BEST place to run the
control loop is in hardware attached to the motor. Typically, this is a
microcontroller  There, the loop can run as fast as it needs to and the
timing jitter is a non-issue.

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 11:14 AM Sam Sokolik <samco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a quote from peter on the forum..
>
> 'I have done some experimentation and have found that you can get better
> stepgen following performance on systems with moderate jitter by using a
> PID loop for position control instead of the stepgen drivers built-in
> position control loop.
> The problem with the built in driver position control is that its tends to
> overcorrect
> for measured position errors cause by sampling jitter.'
>
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 12:35 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 28 October 2021 11:45:49 Sam Sokolik wrote:
> >
> > > All my machines - steppers and servos are running pid.    I think
> > > Peter forgot to mention - The reason PID is recommended is because it
> > > handles latency spikes way better.  We have seen situations where a
> > > latency spike confuses the hell out of position mode stepgens.
> > > (ymmv)
> >
> > But thats why we run preempt-rt kernels Sam. Even on the pi, the maximum
> > spike is 200 microseconds while FF is initializing. W/O FF, 4 to 50
> > u-secs. And the big lathe has never noticed that. The little mill,
> > before it commited suicide by spitting out all the balls of the y nut,
> > was running sw steppers, and they did notice occasionally. It also
> > severely limited that machines rapids, to around 8 or 9" a minute.
> > Putting a 5i25 in it and it ran about 50 ipm w/o any stutters.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California