From: John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 4, 2021 5:31 PM
To: 'Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)' <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Project Progress

The backlash removal will be a major project.
This is what the bronze ACME nut looks like.  Clearly no way to split it and
add any sort of backlash tweak.
http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/XAxis_Nut-2.jpg

The pin on the nut fits into this hole.
http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/XAxis-Ways-3.jpg

I did think about making a bronze replacement that was longer and could have
adjusting screws.  But getting at it to adjust and trusting that the lead screw
isn't worn already making it loose in some parts and tight in others doesn't
seem like a great plan.

Alternatively I could mount a plate at the end of the casting and install a
second ACME bronze nut that has a very fine pitch thread on the outside into
the plate so it can be twisted to remove backlash.

Someone in Australia modified this type of mill by putting the ball nut onto a
plate on the end and just adding a spacer on the motor bracket at the end of
the table to deal with the loss of space taken up by the nut assembly.

So many options.  No idea which way to go.
John