I love that LinuxCNC is hacker friendly and can be customized as needed, but I also think it'd be great if there was a simple generic plug-and-play solution for a 3 axis mill or router and another for a lathe.  It's all some people would need and it'd go a long way toward lowering the initial learning curve for those destined to greater things.  Buy a list of commonly available hardware, plug it together, install a pre-configured ISO and change the travel limits in the setup.  Bob's your uncle.  Now, it could be a Pi4.  There is still a lot of customizing that could be done by selecting the appropriate motors depending on the size of the machine, the user interface, etc.  Whenever I suggested that, I'd get:

1) LinuxCNC is developed by hackers, for hackers.  We don't want all of the support that rank amateurs would entail.  It's a net negative for the people who develop LinuxCNC.

2) Great idea.  Why don't YOU do that?