John Figie

Ralph Stirling wrote:

> Personally, I am more interested in the approach you've been
> advocating for years, of having a microcontroller per motor handling
> commutation and drive, with the Linuxcnc/Mesa setup sending
> step/direction pulses or communicating via sserial or Ethercat with
> each motor.  I've built a number of mosfet bridge boards for 2 or 3-phase
> drive of small motors which have been good enough for in-house use,
> and it isn't too difficult.  Making them bullet-proof for other end-users
> to connect to their own motors and power supplies would require some
> design hardening.
>

> I somewhat agree, but I think rather than send step and direction just
send positions at a fixed rate, say 1 msec or even slower
then linuxCNC does not need to do step generation. This also has the
advantage of having no limit to the position resolution
of a step size. In addition it is possible for the drive to interpolate
positions if a slow update rate is used - but this creates
some challenges with synchronization with other independent axes such as a
spindle - but not impossible. This is the way that
CIP motion over Ethernet drives work and I think many Ethercat drives work
as well. If the drive is handling the closed loop position
then the motion planner - LinuxCNC only needs to send the positions at a
fixed frequency and does not need to do any
closed loop control. The motion planner never allows accelerations to
exceed the capacity of any of the drives. If a drive cannot
for some reason follow the plan then it faults, signaling the motion
planner to stop.

A drive could also run step motors in a closed loop by the drive. But of
course step motors have limitations to the max speed because
they are effectively like large pole count motors.

Just my 2 cents.

John Figie