I've run these before.  Just place a filter in the system.  Whatever else
you do is secondary.   Dirt, bugs spiders and whatever don't matter if
there is a filter.   If you are not running a production shop that filter
will see only a few hours a week of use and last "forever".

The simplest possible setup is a bucket or tub with a submersible filter in
the bottom of the bucket.  Then the output and return lines go to the
bottom of the back and if there is a leak it leaks back into the bucket.
Then (key point) cover the pumps intake with a few wraps of "filter fluff"
and secure it with a zip tie.   If you want to streak the water use
anything that is marked as SAFE for animals and pets.   If it will not kill
a cat, it is safe for your pump and motor.   I think $3 Vodka would work
well.

As long as you have the filter zip tied to the intake, noting gets into the
system.

The other thing I used was a floating aquarium thermometer.    This lets
you know if the tank is large enough.  If the temperature shoots up you
need a bigger tank.

Summry:  (1) use a filter, after that no much else matters
                 (2) use only "pet safe" chemicals but only if you have an
actual problem that needs a solution.   I keep aquarium tanks filled with
just plain water and they remain clear for many years at a time.  With no
fish, any way-cheap filter will keep the water clear. An air-stone powered
filter would work and cost nothing to run 24x7.  he airstone also cools the
water by turning it over.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 8:27 AM gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 8:39:09 AM EST Todd Zuercher wrote:
> > Automotive applications were predominately iron, aluminum, and some
> > plastic with almost no copper for a very long time before different
> > color antifreezes became common.
> >
> One side effect of cooling stuff like a spindle motor comes to mind. In
> the vehicle, it quite easily achieves a kill everything temperature,
> keeping even an active biological mix reasonably sterile if it doesn't
> sit too long.
>
> Cooling a spindle motor does not generally reach those temps but the
> small elevation in heat it does achieve encourages the biological
> contaminants to grow faster. So I might setup a cron job to run the pump
> for an hour in the wee hours if lcnc isn't running, and it would be easy
> enough to dump the return line into a leaky spoon, which if it gets
> enough flow would activate a micro-switch to tally enough flow, and have
> the cron job send me a change the filter email if, say 5 minutes before
> shutdown, the switch isn't closed. Or yell if the switch is closed before
> the pump starts because the hole is plugged. It probably won't happen,
> but that is what you get when I let my imagination out to play w/o a
> chaperone. ;)
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett.
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>  - Louis D. Brandeis

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California