On 2/2/22 02:24, gene heskett wrote:
On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 12:15:59 AM EST Andy Howell wrote:
Hello,

I maintain a gantry style CNC router for our high school robotics
team. Tonight our hard disk died. I need to decide what version to
install. From reading the list, it looks like 2.9 is close to release.
My preference would be to go with that. Any reason I should go with
2.8.2 instead?

First off, replace that spinning rust with an SSD, they are 5 to 6x
faster than spinning rust. A 240Gigger is around 45 bucks and its plenty
big enough. I have done that to all of my machines, one is even running
on a 4 yo 60 gigger. zero problems.

And yes, 2.9-pre is solid.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

Gene,

Thanks. I have a SSD that I'm going to repurpose for it. The computer is old, from 2013, but still works fine. Its an Intel Atom D2550. I installed 2.9 in a virtual machine awhile back just to play with it. I can't remember, but I think I installed the Buster 2.8.2 image first, and then installed 2.9 over that. Is that the recommended route?

Thanks,

Andy