A CNC controller is an "off label" use case for a thin client machine.
 What you should be looking for is a "mini ITX" motherboard designed for
industrial embedded processing.   these sell new for just about $200 with a
CPU soldered (not socketed) to the board.  The Intel Celeron processor
usually does not use a fan, except for the case fan.

That said, these Mini-ITX board are many times what you find inside a "thin
client" PC.   The Celeron is a powerful CPU if you don't need graphics

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California