What?   You have a wall outlet to power the mill.  There is obviously power
in the wall output.  The switch uses just a few milliwatts.

This does work. I've got several of these little switches.   Of course the
computer can not use WiFi to turn itself on.  You need a human to somehow
kick-start the process.  But it should be automated after that.  Of course
the computer *can* turn itself off.

I've managed to put the "on" button on a phone or indoor PC.

One thing I want to change with my setup is to configure the computer for
"Wake on LAN".    I want the computer to power down to a "deep sleep" mode
and also power off the tools and lights.  Then when someone (or some
software) pings the Ethernet port, the computer wakes up and turns on the
equipment.  But I admit to not yet understanding how wake-on-LAN works but
I do know it is a kind of "on switch" that I could trigger.  That once the
computer is awake it can run whatever software I like.  But the Raspbery Pi
lacks Wake-on-LAN hardware.    Most other PCs have this.

In my shop I use just one computer to run the milling machine and 3D
printer and to stream video so I can monitor progress remotely.  I placed
one length of tack lighting on the remote switch so the computer can
control lights for the video stream.  It works well enough but I need to
explore wake-on lan.

One more technology that is kind of new is "IFTTT-like" services.   At
first, it seems complex and overkill but then you find uses for it.  The
most well known is a web site called "IFTTT" where you can program events
that are triggered by other evens up to many levels.   Say your motion
detection camera is triggered, so you program the security lights to come
on and then if more motion is detected within 4 minutes the system should
send you a text message.  You can write programs like this with just a few
clicks on a web page.    People don't like paying for an IFTTT subscription
so there are a dozen open source replacements for this.     A system like
this might be useful in a larger size machine shop.  Security, fire alarms
and lights, power to the tools and computers and so on can all be
automated  https://medevel.com/open-source-zapier-ifttt-alternatives/
 Yes, overkill for a home shop but endless amusement for technology geeks.

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:50 AM Thaddeus Waldner <thadw...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for all the ideas.
>
> I don’t think a WiFi solution will work because I want to completely power
> down the system. There’s not too much power, as I would only need to switch
> the control power; all the high power circuits need only be switched
> through their respective relays.
>
> One other idea is to latch the power on via the 3.3v power supply on the
> pi, which can apparently be configured to turn off when the pi is shut
> down.
>
> Then run a script that waits for a gpio input and shuts down.
>

> > On Feb 15, 2022, at 11:57 AM, gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, February 15, 2022 11:10:30 AM EST Greg Bernard wrote:
> >> Perhaps this is what you're looking for?
> >> http://www.mosaic-industries.com/embedded-systems/microcontroller-proje
> >> cts/raspberry-pi/on-off-power-controller
> >
> > Sweet, the perfect companion to my idea.
> > Bookmarked for future reference, thanks Greg.

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett.
> > --
> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
> > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
> > - Louis D. Brandeis

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California