On Monday, February 21, 2022 1:26:58 PM EST andy pugh wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 at 17:33, gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > G76 isn't terrible handy for a buttress thread being carved on a hard
> > maple stick 20" long for a woodworking vise, turned by a B axis, with
> > the 24k rev spindle doing the carving while y is being advanced by
> > the pitch per rev.
>
> OK, in that case I would code
>
> G96 G1 Y-20 B28800 F0.001
>
> (Well, actually, I would calculate the F rather than guess it)

In that case, since B will be scaled such that B scale is one exact turn
then I would go y at a speed that follows the pitch such that 1 turn
advances at 2x the pitch, with a second pass thats offset whatever half a
turn of B is in y motion.

how about I lift z clear at the rear of the Y, run B half a turn, restore
Z and come back with Y, and B that same half a turn, so it tracks thread
1 going to the rear, and thread 2 coming back. At the end of the pass
back to y0, add 1.5 thou fwd for Y, and 1 thou for Z. Wash, rinse and
repeat till z has arrived at the bottom of the thread, then make another
20 passes incrementing both ends of y to cut a sorta flat at the bottom
of the thread.

> You could use CAM, but I don't know of any free-to-use CAM systems
> that do proper rotary axis work.

Who needs CAM if he understands what is needed, AND linuxcnc can keep B
and y in sync. Both completing a many turns of B move at the same
millisecond. Doesn't seem like rocket science other than the end of
stroke math to advance both Y and B by synchronized amounts for the next
cut. The std trivial kinematics should be able to do that.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks Andy.  Stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)