> In that case, I'd design the probe to be held in the x axis, or crossfeed
> if this is a lathe, with its own self contained contact closer, move y by
> whatever increment is needed to get the y accuracy you need, and use the
> std g38.2 probe to record the trip position.

No, it’s not a camshaft :). The profile is continuous and I want to avoid
having to build an actual powered axis in the direction that I am probing. I
would like a simple roller-follower attached to an encoder that, pretends to be
an axis—not that there’s a huge difference between the two. Though there will
need to be a way to engage the roller from a stored position, but that can be a
manual job.