On 3/24/22 3:54 PM, andy pugh wrote:
On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 at 17:16, John Figie <zephyr9...@gmail.com> wrote:
1) Keep the 5HP motor and use a VFD to run the motor faster to get my 2000
spindle speed? 2000 * 47/30 = 3133 RPM. I don't have much experience with
induction motor drives. Is is feasible to run my motor at nearly double it
rated speed?
Yes, the mechanical parts of a 1750 motor are identical to those of a
3000 rpm motor (or whatever your 60Hz ones do) so they are generally
fine at double frequency.
One advantage of doing it this way rather than gearing up is that you
have more torque at the lower speeds.

I would expect the DC motor to perform better at low speeds than the
induction motor, though. If you can drive it.

Andy has it right, DC works better at low RPM. Double frequency is fine on a 1750 motor. I run a 5 HP 1750 at 140 Hz for 4200 RPM on my Hardinge CHNC. It lets me run at 2400 RPM tops and pulls a 5/8-11 tap at 200 RPM.

Ed.