I did not know about these.  Thanks so much for posting.   So, after the
software stops cycling the output pins, the 10 uf cap discharges through
750 Ohm the opto-isolator's LED and the relay opens.     I will have to
calculate the time delay, but my back of the envelope says about 0.02
seconds.  Is that close to what you observe?  Or did I miss a decimal place?

It looks like you have a good design and if you can sell these at a
reasonable price they should be standard equipment.

But I was thinking,  Now that we have companies like JLCPCB who can make
printed circuit boards and solder components for well under $1 per PCB, I
would not want to be in the business of making and selling small electronic
devices.   I would design this thing so that it used only parts from
JLCPCB's "short list" to keep the cost under $1. Post the design files and
let people order their own directly from the manufacturer.

My concern with this is that it does not catch a failure where only the
user space program crashes and the kernel-space task continues to run.
Perhaps something else can watch for this?

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 2:15 PM <m...@mattshaver.com> wrote:

> On 2022-09-08 15:55, andy pugh wrote:
> > I rely on the Mesa watchdog. If I was running a system that couldn't
> > do that then I would start looking t watchdog circuits, though last
> > time I looked I didn't see anything that simply opened a relay if the
> > charge pump stopped.
>
> I actually make this:
>
> http://www.mattshaver.com/site.php?link=pcbs/cp2estop/index.htm
>
> It was used in Smithy machines and I have a bunch of them left. Haven't
> sold one in years and don't know what they should cost anymore, but if
> someone needs one I could look into it! :)
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California