Clearly, hobby users are not the target market.   I think Autodesk figured
this out.  They give the product away to hobby users and students but
charge about $500 to those who want to buy support.

No one who is making money with your product wants to depend on a web forum
or an e-mail list for support.  They would MUCH rather pay for it and get
help with no delay who will work with you until the issue is resolved.

Tormach users do pay for support.  The money is all front-loaded in the
cost of the machine.  I'd gues that half the price of their $12,000 machine
is overhead, not actual manufacturing cost.  They might be paying $6k for
ease of use, online tutorials and costomer support

On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 12:36 PM Bari <bari00...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/9/22 13:15, Chris Albertson wrote:
>
> > So If I were to start a CNC machine related business today.  I'd design a
> > turnkey system, PCBs and all and place the design online.  Hobby users
> > could download it and have the parts made.  Those with more money than
> > skill could hire me as a consultant.  I'd work over Zoom and remotely log
> > into their computer and make stuff work.
> >
> > You could make money with LCNC if you turned it into a product people
> could
> > unbox and it "just works" and if paid professional one-on-one support was
> > available.   That is what Tormach has done.
>
> Do you have any idea how little hobby users wish to pay for support?
>
> Tormach makes a profit off selling their machines, not in post sales
> support.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California