> If you set the stepgen.max_velocity accordingly this simply won't
> happen. It will ramp up and down between commanded values inside the
> limit that you set.

Yep. Done that after LCNC told me the speed was too high.

> If it goes high again on the way down to zero, it will just change
> direction of counting.

That's what I imagined but wasn't sure. But I'm still worried that in those
up and downs, the far away from perfect solution I'm implementing to drive
these up and down signals (these really are meant to be driven by push
buttons I presume, since there's no timing info in the manuals) starts to
accumulate error ending up in anything but the desired speed.

That's why resetting both the VFD and the stepgen counter between processes
would warrant me that the speed is more than adequate. Since I'm going to
work with constant spindle speed in wood I don't think a little variation
could hurt. But if I don't reset both counters I suspect that I can end up
with several tens of hertz of deviation in a short time.