On 1/26/23 16:42, andrew beck wrote:
hey guys

just wanted to let people know i just made a tutorial on custom m codes and
i couldn't find much info on it and wanted to help the next guy and remind
myself when i forget next time lol

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configuration/48071-custom-m-codes-and-bar-puller-set-up#262959

and also if any of you machinists have good tips for bar pulling on a cnc
lathe i would love the ideas i have never done it before

regards

Andrew

I don't have a bar puller, not even a 5C collet, just an ER42 collet kit. If I am doing multiple copies, I position the tool to act as a stopper, loosen the big nut and push the rod thru to touch the tool, tightening the nut again gets me a couple thou clearance but that can be compensated for in your program. With a reasonable speed of bar pusher so it does not damage the tool when it hits the tool, it ought to work till you are out of that bar.

One could put a microswitch in the position of the tool to automate that, including a shutdown when the bar no longer trips the switch in a long enough time it should have tripped.

With a couple solenoids to engage the nut wrench, and a reversible vfd, that all could be programmed. Even to ejecting the bars remains and feeding a new one from a rack of them could be done.

Lots of ways to skin that cat. This is just three ideas.

Take care and stay well, Andrew.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis