You also mentioned 30 or so feet of wire.  That's likely also an issue with
respect to electrical noise pounding away at the PC driver pin and eventually
causing the output circuit to fail.

Although I only made a few of these boards and never did use the one on this
web page the general idea is to make the sensor signals a bit more robust to
noise and long wires.  Perhaps the drawings can help.

http://www.autoartisans.com/ELS/OptoSpindle.htm

At a minimum buffer the TTL outputs with an SN7414.
John