> From: Karl Schmidt [mailto:k...@lrak.net]
> I got burned with electronic-CAD software - the software quit unless you
> signed up for their new expensive support
> package..
>

> I've been using FreeCAD - slowly getting better - steep learning curve,
but
> they can't pull the plug -- AND it runs on
> linux. The new adaptive clearing bit is nice. Working around bugs is part
of
> the deal.
>

> I think the only two packages that you can 'own' that run on linux are
synergy
> and perhaps Alibre CAM - haven't tried them.

There's no such thing as ALibreCAM anymore.  MecSoft pulled support and
stopped working with Alibre.

I suspect because every new version of Alibre changes the AlibreCAD file
format so it can't be read by older versions.  Which means if you buy the
newest Alibre Atom for example and save a file it will be in Rev 26.  If I
want to load it with my Rev 25 I can't.

Compare that to the evil Microsoft and the ability to SaveAs a Word Document
in WORD 97 format from WORD 2010.

Now AlibreCAD Rev 26 can read Rev 25 files and save as Rev 26 but according
to Alibre if they didn't change the file format then no one would upgrade.

And no it doesn't run on Linux.    I have FreeCAD on my WIN-10 system but I
find the user interface just as confusing as Fusion360.  Maybe we should
call it conFusion360.

And I still am able to use AlibreCAM (although not supposed to be able) on
my system with AlibreCAD.    And yes, it still calls home for verification
that it's me.
John