On 4/12/24 19:13, Gregg Eshelman via Emc-users wrote:
Being of 1971 vintage, I had the good fortune to have as my 2nd grade teacher
Valera Vargason. She started teaching in a one room schoolhouse in 1939, in
Brookings, SD. She taught classes of 40 or more students across the full range
of ages from 5 to 18 while just 19 years old.

I had several of those. They were TEACHER'S unlike todays crop. In those days if the kid miss-behaved, he caught more hell at home. Now helicopter moms sue the school board and teachers can't lay a hand on an obstreperous kid. Some of the story's my now departed music teacher came home to tell were outrageous. She did a lot of playground monitoring and separated two 7 year olds by pulling them apart, leaving visible finger prints on one of them's shoulder, mother yelled and she got put on report for 3 years over it. As an elementary music teacher after she retired, we could not go out for dinner but what one of her former students would come to our table gushing over how she made music fun when they were in school 40 years ago.

Teaching a class of 25 7 year old kids in 1976-1977 was a piece of cake for
her. Today's teachers gripe about 18 or 19 kids in a class being too many.

Valera "Leah" Vargason, November 23, 1920 to April 11, 2009.
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/idahostatesman/name/valera-vargason-obituary?id=13352777

I hope she got a sendoff suitable for a TEACHER.

Cheers Greg, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis