From: Todd Zuercher via Emc-users <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: May 29, 2024 6:58 PM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC) <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Cc: Todd Zuercher <to...@pgrahamdunn.com>
Subject: [Emc-users] Tool Offset Parameters?

I was just trying to figure out something and found in my opinion the Linuxcnc
parameters for #5401-5409 seem to be very broken.  The parameters only return
the stored offsets for what ever tool number is loaded.  This seems very wrong
to me, because the tool number loaded may have nothing to do with what tool
offsets are actually applied.  I've often used a different tool offset with a
tool number, such as for example using tool offset #102 with tool #2 to touch
off on a feature of a profile tool rather than the tool tip.  But parameter
#5403 will display the offset for the loaded tool number reguardless of what
tool offset is actually applied using G43Hn or if additional offsets are
applied using G43.1 or G43.2).  This seems like a big error to me.  Shouldn't
these parameters return the offsets (or total offsets) applied by G43, G43.1,
and G43.2 and not simply what is saved for the loaded tool number?

And if the developers feel the current behavior is correct, then how is a
person supposed to look up what the current applied tool offset in fact is when
it doesn't equal what is saved for the current tool number?

Todd Zuercher
P. Graham Dunn Inc.<http://www.pgrahamdunn.com/index.php>
630 Henry Street
Dalton, Ohio 44618