Dear Lynne and Margaret and <empyre>,

It's so nice to read of the connections you are making between robot
poetics, machine dreams, creative kin, race, storytelling, disruption,
publishing and the archive. Margaret's facilitation for the month of May
has been so generative and thoughtful, and it is wonderful to learn the
breadth of Lynne's work. I was so delighted to read that the Guerrilla
Grafters has resonance with what has been talked about here. Recently
Margaret asked me about my background as an artist, and we spoke of how I
moved from poetry concerned with how to communicate more deeply with
non-human, to new media art and scholarship concerned with if and how
technology changes the stories we tell and how we organize, to art/activist
cultivations that seek out technics which facilitate more abundance and
biodiversity, and deeper modes of solidarity in ecological contexts. So
it's there, and it is heartening to be in such esteemed company.

Because Guerrilla Grafters (a collaboration between many grafters,
especially Tara Hui and Ian Pollock) intervene in the binary between public
and private property in order to push against the scarcity in cities, to
propose an unruly commons.... we have a contradictory relationship with
digital networks. For instance, we share information about what trees are
graftable and where, but do not make the location of our grafts public. We
also have digital tools which convey contextual information to certain
parties -- Ultra violet LEDs that blink out morse-encoded messages that
only bees can read, and RFID tags that store information about a graft
locally, and that requires a SUPER SECRET code book to read. I wonder if
these kinds of engagements can also be understood as a robot poetics, one
that is less about representation, and more about relation, intervention,
multi-species, cyborgicity, and hopefully, difference.

Much of my work is uncomfortably informed by networks and systems theory.
Part of the discomfort comes from the totalizing view that whole systems
design affords and the tension of that totalizing view, with local,
intersubjective exchanges of power -- this is, to me, where the real work
lies. But the totalizing view always threatens to obfiscate that
intersubjective exchange of power... And yet -- it also provides insight
about key interventions that might occur. I am wondering if this comes up
for you given your background as a designer and as director/ coordinator of
the operating system, which I perceive to have anarchist aims.

I was also taken with your thoughts on the archive, Lynne, and it made me
think of an ongoing work in collaboration with the Coastal Reading Group,
another art project, conducted with Bibi Calderaro. In this project, we
collected materials implicated in major ecological shifts --- the adoption
of sedentary and pastoral agriculture and resultant deforestation, in terms
of the enclosure movement, and in terms of the settler colonization of
North America and elsewhere. We were interested in the ways engagements
with some species have facilitated certain extinctions for others,
endangered species, or the recession of certain animals and plants from
view, resulting in the transformation of landscapes. Our thesis was that
through specific ecological transformations of the Western world, largely
cemented by capitalization, a kind of relationship with the non-human has
become the norm, where distance, landscape and domesticity are prized; this
distance effectively prevents an understanding of the value of the numinous
relationships in our midst, and in turn prevents the grief process. We were
concerned with the distance and inability to grieve so many of us have
during the current moment, which some have characterized as the 6th great
extinction, and wanted to understand why. Through these assembled materials
-- like sheep's wool, Hawthorne, Flanders poppy seed for example --
participants created objects around an all-night fire. In the morning we
buried our materials, which are now sprouting in an English meadow. So
there is an un-earthing and re-earthing of a spontaneous, and temporary
archive of materials.... To us, we wondered if this kind of archival
process had a unique kind of power to it -- perhaps more shared, and
allowing for the space of loss.

As ever,
Margaretha

Margaretha Haughwout