Welcome to June 2017 on –empyre- soft-skinned space
Moderated by Renate Ferro (US) and Tim Murray (US)
Fake News in a Global Climate
With invited guests:
Week 1: June 5:  An overview Renate Ferro and Tim Murray, Lindsay Kelley and
Anna Munster
Week 2: June 9:  Mark Marino and Talan Memmott
Week 3: June 16: Kevin Hamilton and more TBA
Week 4: June 23: Randall Packer, Ana Munster, Lindsay Kelley and Anna Munster

This month on –empyre- soft-skinned space we will discuss why fake news has
intensified globally in 2017.   While we’ve been hearing a lot about fake news
coming from Russia, more often the government’s role as a news source has been
displaced by lay writing that has spiraled misinformation via the algorithms of
social media.

Educators, news outlets, and social media platforms are revisiting their
strategies for discerning fact from fiction. Whether through education or
algorithm tweaking, the combat of disinformation is almost as prevalent a topic
of news as news itself.  We will spend this month dissecting some of the
ramifications from the perspective of art and technology.

On November 9th, 2016, Erin Tucker took a series of photos of buses in downtown
Austin, Texas. Thinking that it was odd to see that many busses he did an
initial google search to see if perhaps there was a conference in the downtown
area.  The empty search prompted him to conflate the fact that anti-Trump
protestors in the area must have been bused via the busses that he had
photographed.

Tucker tweeted
 “Anti-Trump protestors in Austin Today are not as organic as they seem.  Here
are the busses they came in. #fakeprotests #trump2016 #austin

In the New York Times article “How Fake News Goes Viral: A Case Study,”
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/business/media/how-fake-news-spreads.html?_r=0&login=email

reporter Sapna Maheshwari recounts the timeline as to how this one tweet,
despite Tucker’s efforts to set the facts straight, were tweeted across social
media 5000 times
(including 3000 Facebook users and Donald Trump’s Twitter feed) with the help
of right-wing news outlets.

James Carson of the UK’s Telegraph, wrote a short history of the origins of
Trump’s usage of the words FAKE NEWS in March of this year reporting that, in
his first news conference after
his election, Trump pointed to CNN’s Jim Accosta while declaring,  “You are
fake news!”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/0/fake-news-origins-grew-2016/

Embellishment or manipulation of the truth for gain has been skillfully
realized by government entities for centuries. Carson tracks its usage from
Marc Anthony during the final war
of the Roman Republic to Britain’s use in motivating its citizens against Nazi
Germany, to Nazi Germany’s use of mass media and stereotyping against Jewish
citizens.  In World War Ii propaganda was a tool targeting popular culture and
mass communication.  We invite empyreans to reflect on the particular
significance of fake news in the digital era.

This month we will look at the notion of fakeness in relationship to news in a
global climate through the critical lens of  artists, writers, theorists, and
technologists.

Each week of the month I will be introducing the weeks’ guests and then posting
their bios.  Looking forward to the month.

TO ACCESS ARCHIVES USE THIS URL:
http://lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au/pipermail/empyre/
TO ACCESS THE WEBSITE FROM THE CORNELL SERVER TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT EMPYRE GO
TO: http://empyre.library.cornell.edu

Renate

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor