Dear all,
Thanks Anna and Lindsay for telling us a bit about your upcoming event at the
University of New South Wales on Friday.  I wish we were a bit closer so we
could attend but for now will rely on your reportage.  Really looking forward
to it as the month unfolds.  I would like to pause a bit for this post at least
on the question you post early on in this morning,

Anna wrote <snip>
Is it the case that (the)media and arts are located in completely different
spaces and are responding with totally different tactics or strategies in the
wake of ‘post-truth’ politics?
It seems as though so much old media is caught up within an epistemological
chasm, flung back and forth between being a pack of liars and defending the
‘facts’. Being duly investigative.
The social media scape, on the other hand, feeds itself on more and more
elaborate stoushes around ‘lies’, rumour and ironic irony…
<snip>

In the March 2017 issue of Frieze magazine, writer Pablo Larious, wrote a
hilarious” letter” to Andy Warhol in his essay “How Real is Real? From Donald
Trump’s post-truth to Andy Warhol’s philosophy, and back again.”  In essence
the essay takes the form of a letter to Warhol that sets the stage of life, art
and politics within the pro-wrestling world.  That world was one of Warhol’s
favorite where in 1985 he was interviewed after a Wrestling-Mania event in
Madison Square garden.  Larious, an Berlin based art critic trained in
comparative literature, reminds us that the root of the  word wrestling
actually means to ‘steal’ or ‘distort the meaning of.’

Larious asks questions to Warhol as if he were alive today in 2017 in the
middle of a rigged world:
“Would you like to talk to me sometime about how daily life became so
spectacularly news worthy, so fake…I’d like to ask you about the sad irony, in
2017…Is it okay if I ask you about your relationship to a man named Donald
Trump—“  Ironically, it was Warhol who wrote twenty plus years ago a potential
script for Donald Trump, “the president has so much good publicizing
potential.” In fact Warhol intersected with Trump on several occasions over a
silkscreen print. In turn it was Trump who quoted Warhol’s writing “good
business is the best art” printed in two of Trump’s books.

Given the legacy that Warhol left, the convergence of life and art, business
and brand, I ponder over how old and social media has been archived,
fragmented, re-used to such as extent that both create gaps of innuendo for all
facets of our existence including politics.  Larious critically asks his
readers if it is possible that we discern “fakery” and “mockery” from the
“real” in an age where everything is layered with the discrepancies of digital
re-production and  social media.

Tim and I are looking forward to more discussions on fake news especially
through the lens of our global subscribers.  Hope you will all feel free to
post.
Renate

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor