Hi all,

I thought I’d chime in here. Kevin, thanks for the mention!

In reference to your question regarding our role via practice to combat climate
change, is an interesting one for me personally. In fact tomorrow I’ll be
speaking at the ASLE conference in Detroit on this very subject.

I’ve been battling with whether an art practice does anything other than
inflate the ego or diminish the guilt of the artist making work on the topic in
actually enacting any kind of social cultural shift. At the moment I can say
this. Artists are often at the forefront of technological innovation.
Additionally, many are also on a sort of margin of culture; a place whereby
they can be disproportionately affected by marginalizing forces, whether we are
speaking of legislation, climate change, or some other form of violence enacted
by systems of power. I think there is great power in not just representing
these systems, but also using the tools and technologies of these systems as a
form of resistance. Whether the message transmitted by the work only reaches
“those in the the know” (the art community/cultural producer community) or
somehow have the ability to transcend that limited circle of viewership might
not matter as much as I once thought. Works like Pau’s Suspect Inversion Center
provide a language and aesthetic for scholarly and cultural conversation that
demonstrate the falibility of entrenched power hierarchies. By reframing the
language, and the potential for citizen engagement, this re-representation of
the science and influence of the output we are, at worst, bearing witness to a
moment, and at best, providing a moment of reconsideration of what is possible.

I think that as important as reframing the cultural conversation is, perhaps it
is notice by the institutions enacting systemic marginalization that the
greatest work is being done. Art, especially in the genre we are loosely
speaking of, is fringe, but perhaps it does carve out a what if moment within
these institutions where they ponder whether this pulling back the veil on the
technologies of violence may mainstream pushback against them. Worryingly, in
the political climate of the moment, it may not matter as facts are apparently
not a thing.

I guess all this rambling leads me to this: I think the power in the
tactical/subversive use of the technologies of marginalization is of greatest
importance. The aesthetics draw in interest, and scholarship and dissemination
with re-imagined language redraws the borders of power.

I’ll be so smug and talk about a project I’m currently working on for a moment.
It’s an extension of Open SourceEstrogen called Cyborg Avifauna of Estrogenic
Paradise. It’s a large (7m diameter) drone blimp with a host of on board
sensors and an incubator and deployment system for a biosensor that can help in
the detection of estrogenic compounds. The blimp patrols airspace, mapping
areas of high estrogenic compound concentration above what is commonly
considered sovereign airspace. The project idealistically, yet still though a
dystopia lens, at the possibility of a Jetson-esque paradise above political
borders where the residues of neoliberalism (pollution) can be detected and
harvested toward the production of DIY hormone therapy. The project capitalizes
on the aesthetics of military drone technology.

Anyway, in working on this project, I’ve been battling with whether it actually
does any cultural good. I think with the spectacle of using military-esque
aesthetics with proven DIY tech onboard, it can capitalize on the lure
forbidden tech and draw in viewership, but the proven DIY technologies become
realistically possible for amateurs to construct, giving them the tools to map
endocrine disruptor pollution in their own backyards. I’ve come full circle as
an artist and am back to my youthful vision of art as a tool of (tactical)
inspiration.

Ok, I’ve got to drive to Detroit.

Thanks for the conversation!

Byron

—
Byron Rich
Assistant Professor of Electronic Art, Intermedia & Painting
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA

Doane Hall of Art, A204
(o) 814.332.3381