Thank you for these posts which toggle us between practice and theory,
history and futurity made in the everyday!

There are thousands if not millions of varieties of rice. "Rice" is a
highly adaptable grass that grows almost everywhere in the world.
Cultivation practices don't just fall into categories of wild or indigenous
or industrial. There's a spectacular continuum of
historically-evolutionarily contingent pratices under the broad and
relatively novel Holocene activity of "agriculture." To borrow Jason's
terms: that web of life (a continuum of practices) is made --and remade--
through ecological assemblages (like Joline's blueberry guilds) and
thresholds or complexes of resistances. And I'll add dynamics of
coordination. Sad to hear of Joline's blueberries that are now lonely,
having lost its significant others! Certainly, it's surviving because of
coordinations with some friends, mycorrhizal fungi for example. It's
important to cultivate those too.

In following rice, particular varieties have managed to survive more than
others because of their sociality, their capacity to make friends (whether
they want to or not!) So to talk about rice is not to talk only about the
rice plant. Rice is an assemblage. Recent work in ecology and evolutionary
biology are showing that socialities are perhaps the basic unit of life,
giving us radical terms like symbionts, instead of species, to work with.
Important to situate historically and geographically because there are many
different kinds, each invovled with energies and forces of different
intensities, rhythms, etc. So, these are not just figurations, but
materialities that need to be made visible so that they can be cultivated.

The political question arises: which materialities do we want? I want to
fight for the right to argue for and against --not have that decided for me
as it has been for hundreds of years since conquistadors decided it was
okay to kill people and take their lands.
Anthropocene-Capitalocene-Chthulucene discourse tells us that our capacity
to have real choices --the choice of which kinds of food systems, urban
ecologies, education, healthcare, etc-- is now severely limited. It's
limited not because of crazy despots but because worlds are dying.
Blueberries are lonely. Rice now has a whole lot of bad friends like
chemical fertilizers and DNA hackers. One of the big challenges to critical
inquiry and creative practice is how to open up these choices, how to
proliferate agencies and activisms from the fungi underground up to the
hole in the ozone layer.

Elaine