1. Maybe there is also such a thing as mountain time that's inhabited and
experienced differently by people attracted to mountains for the
sublime/universal time or as in Chiang's film, for the duration of survival
2. In this case, duration itself might be running still and flowing deep
but not in the sense of 'movement' or 'perspectival depth.'

With respect to Liz’s contributions, I’m so pleased this conversation has
touched on the work of Hou Hsiao Hsien - a filmmaker whose lengthy,
durational scenes has inspired my own research.

What fascinates me here is the intersection of multiple temporal vectors: A
personal, phenomenological experience of passage, a continuous reassessment
of authoritative historical narratives and momentous encounters with
seemingly universal timescales that go beyond human experience. Works of
art allow us viewers to variously “inhabit” these temporal vectors by
focusing experience on a specific set of aesthetic conditions.

The NZ-based art collective Local Time have achieve this by focusing
aesthetic experience on the act of drinking water. They serve exhibition
visitors glasses of fresh spring water drawn from the Horotiu stream – a
significant historical resource for indigenous Maori peoples of Auckland –
that has been paved over and now runs beneath the roads of Auckland’s
central business district. Local Time approach this as a gesture of
hospitality, but I’m wondering if visual arts such as this offer a special
means of implicating viewers/experiencers in durational passages that are
‘unknown’ to them. Is there such thing as subversive experience of
duration? How might this relate to the survival of subjugated histories and
natural phenomena that have been “paved over” by dominant ideologies? So
many thoughts!

- Kate