Thank you, Margaretha - I'm so inspired here.
I very much agree that nuanced time considerations are an important aspect
of this work, particularly when considering 'wastelands' and their
counterparts, protected areas.
Two projects I undertook last year sought to enrich understandings of two
different locations by using related conceptualizations of time:

In one location, Northern Finland, I investigated the eco-political
conflict zone of Kilpisjärvi, and sought to develop a concept of
'lichenological time' - that is, time as observed through the tenacious
lifespans of the sensitive lichen species native to this (sub)arctic
region, in relationship with the cultural and human rights of the
indigenous Sámi people who inhabit and traverse the landscape there. The
hills, fells and fjords of the region have long been subject to a series of
conflicts, littered with artifacts of war: broken concrete structures
bespeckled with lichen crusts, bones in the streams (supposedly), and
territorial fences between nationalities that fragment reindeer migratory
habitats and limit their food supply, which happens to be exclusively
lichen. Reindeer are the central cultural signifiers and livelihood of the S
ámi. The pressing conflict I encountered was between Sámi herders and
population biologists/ ecologists in Kilpisjärvi who sought to increase
fencing in order to 'protect' ecological pockets of landscape from the
herds of reindeer adapting new migratory deviations around the obstacles
that had been erected already.
Lichen has an enzymatic quality of slowly digesting some of the longest
standing members of the ecological landscape: rocks and stones and also
artifacts of humanity. Some time before I arrived in Sápmi (the Sámi
territory that includes northern Finland, as well as Norway, Russia and
Sweden), the Norwegian government had made the decision to water-blast all
of the lichen colonies off of rocks with petroglyphs, so that they would be
made more visible for tourist attraction. I understood lichenological time
as that of prolonged witness and of slow interchange. Biologists understood
lichenological time in terms of sustainable growth rates for ecological
preservation within compartmentalized spaces (despite the desire to delimit
that preservation to only species they were interested in, not species that
transgressed the boundaries of their assigned compartments). Governments
understood lichenological time as a threat to industry. Sámi understood
lichenological time as vital to survival.

In the second location, in eastern Canada (Halifax), I was investigating
bioremediation in the form of a microbial inoculant. Specifically, I was
working at a legacy gold mine tailings site, a veritable 'wasteland' of
golden sand laden with arsenic and mercury since the late 1800s. The
current government had decided that the tailings still had great potential
value, since over 40% of the gold from the original ore still remained in
them, though they were too toxic to re-process. I worked with an
environmental scientist who specializes in phytoremediation using goldenrod
species with chemical additives, but she was interested in my work with a
species of bacteria that thrives in metal-polluted soils, reduces mercury
through enzymatic processes and produces 24k gold as a metabolic byproduct
(yes, alchemical, indeed). My initial experiments showed new bacterial
activity in the sterile soil samples I'd inoculated in the lab (these gold
mine tailings were, I discovered, devoid of any microbial life), but my
intentions were purely artistic and poetic - I planned a performative
gesture of 'inoculating' the site with a few prayer bundles containing live
microbes that might return some gold to the soil over an expanse of
geological time. The viability of this action would likely be nil within
any industrial timeframe or single human lifetime, and my concept included
the consideration of geocultural time in revivifying the tailings. I had
been consulting with a Mi'kmaq curator (indigenous to Nova Scotia and New
Brunswick) about the cultural landscape where the tailings were deposited
and his explanation, too complex to explain fully here, detailed the
irrevocable co-evolution of his people and landscape, and he ultimately
impressed upon me that any significant change to the landscape meant a deep
psycho-spiritual impact on the Mi'kmaq people, among other impacts. In the
end, my scientist collaborator put the kybosh on my research. A new
partnership had been formalized between one of her research associates and
the government, to the tune of a million dollar grant to attempt
industrial-scale bioremediation of the gold mine tailings using a silica
additive (which is itself toxic to animals in large quantities) so that the
tailings could be reprocessed and the remaining gold extracted. My
inoculated prayer bundles were sadly never buried and the spell of
industrialism remained unbroken.

The slow metabolism of time, through species both native and introduced,
seems anathema to capitalist interests.
Might this be a core mode of ruderal witchcraft, then: crafting in the
interstices of polychronic time-scapes? Or you said, Oliver, perhaps
engaging with, "playing out a longer game of earth repair that may or may
not include us."

WhiteFeather