Thanks for the interesting discussion so far. I am also taken by Whitefeather’s
"two-eyed vision” composed of indigenous and Western ways of seeing, and
believe such vision is urgently needed for social and environmental justice and
for culturally sensitive policy-making.

In my research and teaching of transmedia knowledge, I have connected with the
Indigenous Story Studio<https://istorystudio.com/> which creates information
comics for indigenous youth in Canada, mixing science and storytelling to
address health and social issues. Its founder, Sean Muir (Cree from Peguis
First Nation, cc’d here), puts together teams of writers, designers,
researchers, and community members to produce the info comics, sometimes using
focus groups to fine-tune the two-eyed vision of Western science and
traditional medicine and caretaking.

I am also drawn to figuration and what I call “thought-action figures" to
displace in theory-practice the divisions between ideas/images, logos/mythos,
methods/rituals. The disappearance of tens of thousands of Aboriginal children
in Canadian and Australian public schools over the past century shows how
lethal these divisions have been.

Figures may be what two-eyed visions actively see and produce: indeed, the
cyborg and goddess, as well as the cat’s cradle and even gold mine tailings can
all be seen as collective thought-action figures that combine and disperse
sometimes incommensurable worlds while emitting urgent calls for action.

Sean’s info comics often generate such figures: in It Takes a
Village,<https://istorystudio.com/portfolio-item/maternal-child-health-it-takes-a-village/>
 Lara is a pregnant teenager torn between wanting to drink beer at a party and
taking care of her unborn child: she then has a vision of her grandmother
teaching her about traditional medicines while wearing a mask, superhero
T-shirt, and cape-like robe—a mashup of Superman and maternal elder who
functions as a “SuperGran” of power and knowledge. Research on culturally
competent healthcare likewise calls for hospitals to embrace indigenous
traditions of childbirth.

Two- and three-eyed figures operate between and across different
onto-historical and cultural registers to combine practices traditionally set
apart: science and magic, dialectics and mimesis, method and ritual, etc. They
tend toward the pharmakological: medicine, poison, undecidable. It’s important
to stress that Western science relies on yet usually denies its figurations
(eg, tree of knowledge, double helix). Public health agencies, however, often
embrace figuration, as seen in the CDC’s Zombie Preparedness
campaign<https://www.cdc.gov/cpr/zombie/index.htm>.

I am currently collaborating on a lecture performance based on a female figure
of caring and fighting in the age of the Anthropocene: the thought-action
figure overlays activist Greta Thunberg, Serbian partisan fighter Sofija
Vujanović, and the goddess Artemis/Diana unveiled as physis/Nature in order to
explore crises of care of self, community, and world, which correspond to the
three ecologies of Felix Guattari.

What role might two-eyed figuration play in a Ruderal Witchcraft Manifesto?

Jon McKenzie
labster8.net<http://labster8.net>

On Nov 10, 2019, at 5:52 PM, joanha...@gmail.com<mailto:joanha...@gmail.com>