Hola todxs, I much appreciated last week’s discussion and I’m happy to join
this week’s conversation, thank you Margaretha and Ciclón for the
invitation. Making space to share rituals, methods for healing, and curses
seems important to learning as a community and to making practices more
sustainable in time.

In my art practice, rituals are sometimes outspokenly part the project
itself and sometimes part of a personal preparation. These do not come from
any specific culture or historical tradition, I craft them (sometimes in
collaboration with others) as ways to mourn and celebrate, to change
perspectives, to connect or to heal (although last week’s conversation
around remediation has productively complicated my thinking). My rituals
incorporate processes from the scientific method as well as intuitive,
embodied, and symbolic actions that do not necessarily "make sense" but aim
to "invite sensing". I strongly believe in the powers of the “what if” and
I am motivated to know more and differently rather than proving an idea to
be right and transferable.

Recently, for *Fruiting Bodies*:* Creative Experiments in Fungal
Inoculation & Mycoremediation* (a collaboration with Chloe Zimmerman, Chris
Kennedy, and Pleurotus ostreatus) we invited human participants to choose a
body part they wanted to heal or focus their attention on. Afterwards we
made agar sculptures of these body parts and inoculated them with oyster
mushrooms. We let them grow for some time before coming back together and
holding a burying ritual where all the mycelium-growing body parts were
buried in a tree-less tree pit in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. This is an ongoing
project for us and we aim to adapt it in each iteration based on the site
and the resources available. We describe it as "a creative experiment to
consider the relationships between our bodies, fungi, the earth, and the
potential of remediations of many kinds. Throughout, we document and learn
with our fruiting bodies, allowing for a latent network of human and
non-human relations to emerge." This project is based on mycoremediation
experiments designed by Paul Stamets but incorporates movement, writing,
setting intentions, asking, offering, and most importantly sharing process.
Perhaps instead of being a remediation project we can think of it as a form
of care from Nepantla given its in-betweenness of methods? Or perhaps it is
just a mix of methods and I am confusing the hybrid with the in-between?

A second project that I would like to share is a series of sculptures made
to be used by groups of people, *Tools for Many Kinds of Selves*. These
sculptures propose different ways of locating oneself in relationship to
others (humans and more than humans) by temporarily preventing seeing,
extending limbs, making physical connections, or providing diverse
instruments for making contact. They come with initial prompts, but
participants are invited to propose and invent alternative scores and
configurations. Participants also document what they witnessed and
experienced while the sculptures/tools were being used and the narrative of
our time together is a compilation of these writings and drawings. This
project is rooted in the belief that sculpture can be a physical
manifestation of the space in between one and the other and also a means of
transferring touch.

I am hoping that if we can be in a situation in which we can re-perform or
reinvent our usual configurations then we can re-think what we think of
others, of ourselves, and of the way we are to relate. Not always so easy,
however, and as my abuelita says, "el camino al infierno está empedrado de
buenas intenciones."

http://luciamonge.com/
http://plantonmovil.org