Yes, thanks Margaretha and empyre.

Spellwork
<https://squareup.com/store/lrlx/item/spellwork-technologies-and-conjurings>
as a whole attempts to answer some of the questions posed at the end of the
last post, with a variety of artists and writers. It provokes the
possibility that technology and magic have always been entangled rituals.
Magic is a tool for knowing: a way of seeking the unknowable, an
alternative nature to what is, a conjuring. Post-industrial society has
largely erased the practices of sorcery that came before it, but high-tech
is its own version of sleight of hand. Taking seriously the magic in
technosocial life might help unhinge the concept that technological
practices are only sleek, shiny and synthetic. It might demystify current
attitudes that consider all problems as requiring new technological
solutions, all systems as things to “disrupt” with technological innovation.

In her essay in Spellwork
<https://squareup.com/store/lrlx/item/spellwork-technologies-and-conjurings>
titled “She Who Sees the Unknown”, Morehshin Allahyari introduces us to
Aisha Qandisha, the most “fearsome and honored” jinn from the Arab world.
Allahyari writes of Qandisha,

*For the Moroccans she is known as the ‘opener’. To possess a man, Aisha
creates a crack in his body. She breaks him.*

*Divides him.*

*Opens him.*

*Invites him to an outside.*

*When she possesses a man,*

*She does not take over the host*

*but rather opens him*

*-now the lover-*

*to a storm of incoming jinn and demons; Making him a traffic zone*

*She never leaves*

*She resides in the man to guarantee his utter openness*

*“Feel me”*

*She says*

*And through his opening he does.*

*The only way to feel sane with Aisha Qandisha is to participate with her.*

*to bend; to bond.*

*In an unwinnable war *

Allahyari’s ongoing practice of refiguring challenges conventional
histories and technologies that reify magic, goddesses, and monsters.
Situating them in a new--or perhaps very old--way. If we are to take
refiguring as a serious strategy to intervene in our own mythologies
(technological and otherwise), what other cracks must we create?

-- Elia + Liat + Rose

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 8:31 AM L R B <liat.berd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you to Margaretha and -empyre- for having us.
>
> As Margaretha mentioned, we co-edited the Living Room Light Exchange’s
> fourth annual publication, Spellwork: Technologies and Conjurings
> <https://squareup.com/store/lrlx/item/spellwork-technologies-and-conjurings>,
> along with Rose Linke, which was released this past fall. It is a book that
> calls forth the techno-witches, wizards, sorcerers, animists, and
> magicians, and provokes the possibility that technology and magic have
> always been entangled rituals. In short, its artists and writers explore
> the double bind of magic in technology and the technology of magic.
>
> We thought we’d use the invitation to post on -empyre- to share some
> excerpts from the book, which we hope will spark dialogue.
>
> So to start things off, here’s an excerpt from Ingrid Burrington’s essay
> “Alchemy and False Gods” which posits that the “medieval discipline of
> alchemy was perhaps the original annihilator of time and space.” Burrington
> writes,
>
> "While transportation technologies are more legible as technologies that
> also transform the natural world (or at least the human experience of it),
> communication technologies' alchemical materiality is somewhat less
> appreciated. Which is odd, since that alchemical materiality is also
> arguably what makes those technologies often feel like magic. Patterns
> etched on silicon crystal circuits channel programmatic incantations into
> ashes of lightning, memory lives in the vacillations of magnets, love and
> anguish and horror are rendered into beams of light traversing oceans and
> reconstituted anew in seconds, a soothing voice from far beyond tells you
> to turn left onto Fourteenth Street as a blue dot on a screen nudges
> onward."
>

> We wonder, how is technology like alchemy in its annihilation of space?
> How is it not? And what of the ineffable mutability that alchemy and
> circuit boards share, which are both more than the sum of their parts?
>

> -- Liat + Elia + Rose
>
> --
> liat berdugo // @whatliat <https://twitter.com/whatliat> //
> liatberdugo.com <http://www.liatberdugo.com/>
>
> /////////////////////////////////////////////
>
> *recent + upcoming thing(s)*
>
> \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
>

> Nov 1-15 — Digital Art Festival Die Digitale 2019, NRW Forum Düsseldorf,
> Düsseldorf, Germany. My work, "Unpatentable Multitouch Aerobics" will be
> presented and performed by a local German artist (who I have trained by
> Skype!) at the fourth annual festival for digital art.
>

> Nov 14 - 15 — MoneyLab #7: Outside of Finance
> <https://networkcultures.org/moneylab/events/moneylab-7-outside-of-finance/>,
> Tolhuistuin, Amsterdam. My collective's video work, *The Insufferable
> Whiteness of Being*, will screen at the seventh edition of MoneyLab,
> which considers feminist economics, social payments, corporate crime, and
> [...]

www.eliavargas.com
www.livingroomlightexchange.com

*LRLX Publication 4: Spellwork: Technologies and Conjurings* is now
available HERE
<https://squareup.com/store/lrlx/item/spellwork-technologies-and-conjurings>