Hello all, I am Efrén. I’ve been reading with pleasure this month’s
discussions surrounding magic, plants and technology, and I’m excited to
see the entrance of queer paranormal. My views might be a bit unorthodox on
these topics, so I ask for your patience as I spill water on the table.

Since the topic of the week is queer paranormal, I want to comment on
“queerness”. Mainly, I want to point out that it is not by any means an
all-encompassing term for the multitude of experiences that are, shall I
say, paranormal, in that they deviate or counterpose normalcy. Many times
I’ve seen with pain how paranormal friends, especially those outside the
US, abandon the rigidity of their own cultural structures just to try to
fit another rigid model: queerness in the US. More often than not it pains
them because that is not a term for or by them. Sadly, queer has been
capitalized and taken a colonizing aspect in its imposition of an
aesthetic, sexuality, performativity, etc. I do celebrate queerness, as
practiced in the US and other places, but I emphasize that it is not the
only way to be paranormal. I would claim that although not all paranormals
are queer, all queer are paranormal. We resist the scrutiny of scienticized
thought, the classification and categorization of identity, the sharp
scalpel of naming. Just like in haunted spaces, a normalizing society has a
surplus of energy beyond its own reality, eternally returning as a rupture,
the strangeness, the inexplicable. It is in this rupture that we can reach
onto the flesh of those invading our houses to take back that vitality
which was harvested from us in the first place.

I am an atheist myself, and don’t have any metaphysical belief. However, I
believe the paranormal, the magical, exist as social modes of
de-regulation, as untamable emergences to keep social dynamics from
collapsing onto themselves. A counter-technology. Indeed, we’ve said much
about technologies in terms of physical artifacts and capitalist practices,
but we’ve forgotten the subversive technologies nature imbues us. Among
those, the capability to be queer, paranormal, to form strategies of
resistence. Technology is ours, technology is us. Time for us spectres to
reclaim our technological relationship to nature. Take it from those fleshy
entities who call themselves normal humans, owners, bosses, investors,
managers, developers, saviors. We are haunting.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 6:20 PM Rachel Stevens <racheljstev...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Great to hear your queer paranormal stories Jess. I was envious of the
> yurt on the intergenerational camping co-op until I read on. Energetics,
> haunted homes, emotional misreadings… Your assessment: “Queerness, grief,
> and the paranormal evade seeing and naming precisely because they are
> always already slippery and out of reach” resonates with me in relation to
> ideas connected to the Bennington show, if not in general.
>

> I’m very curious if the term “queer paranormal” brings up anything for
> others. Particularly during this holiday week filled with family and chosen
> family organized around whitewashed histories of the United States.
>

> Hello again with my Two Chairs hat on. It looks like images have been
> posted on the Usdan Gallery website, so if you’re interested to see what
> the Queer Paranormal exhibition looks like, here it is. (minus Lana Lin’s
> film, APRIORI’s outdoor plantings and the sound installation in The Lens).
>
> EXHIBITION OVERVIEW
>

> https://www.bennington.edu/suzanne-lemberg-usdan-gallery/archive/queer-paranormal
>

> As Jessica pointed out, seeing and naming are slippery and out of reach,
> so I think the works in the show don’t fit neatly into categories. However,
> for the sake of building a linear text, we shoehorned the work into three
> themes: Haunted House, Haunted Past; Mediums, ESP and Extra-Human
> Manifestations; and Witches and Witchcraft.
>

> When asked about our inspiration for the project, one Two Chair member
> recalled that they were “interested in exploring the queer past because so
> much has been written about queer futurity.” The bulk of the artists have
> ended up in this first category, “Haunted House, Haunted Past,” which
> Jessica also seemed to evoke. Here are descriptions, from our Two Chairs
> text, of projects by Anna Campbell, Zoe Walsh, Sasha Wortzel, Senem Pirler
> and Tony Do. More on others tomorrow.
>

> Senem’s work is also featured today on Usdan’s Instagram (vibrators, sound
> from electromagnetic energy!):
>
> SENEM PIRLER’S UNEARTHLY VIBRATIONS
>
> https://www.instagram.com/p/B5VbW1YFzKD/
>

> //
>

> Haunted House, Haunted Past
>

> In Anna Campbell’s 2018 installation “You know it pisses you off . . . *
>
> Campbell’s use of ornate “ribboned” marquetry text suggestive of opulent
>
> interiors is used here on wood panels installed to suggest urinal dividers
> in a
>
> dive bar. The text consists of excerpts from the English translation of
>
> Monique Wittig’s The Lesbian Body. The use of dividers embodies the split
>
> subject suggested by Wittig through the narrator’s use of the slash between
>
> m and y (m/y), where two lesbian bodies disrupt bodily boundaries and
>
> seemingly deconstruct each other. Dive bar bathrooms traditionally have
>
> been sites for sexual encounters, but Campbell’s lengthy title suggests a
>
> memorial function as well. The title character, Sandy, is haunted by
> memories

> [...]

\ecc
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~encc/