The first being this question of "flattening" that I personally recognise
as a struggle in direct connection to a work I made called in 2017
Sultana's Reality.
View online at www.entersultanasreality.com

While making the work I wanted to pull apart the history of women's
education which is usually celebrated as part of the "reform movement" by
putting women's agency at the centre of the narrative. I used existing
images of women from an archive i was doing a fellowship at (CSSSC
Calcutta) and brought them to life to reimagine what the women frozen in
these images would perhaps do if they were given the space to perform,
rather than being imagined by someone outside of their inner lives and
experiences. Some questions I wanted to explore were, who was being
"reformed" into what and for what purpose and what say did they have in the
process. Almost imagining the reform movement as a software update full of
bugs. I used writing by women and their own anecdotes and instances from
history to talk about stories where education was enforced on women out of
their own will, and how education served a decorative purpose in their life
bringing them closer to the imagination of a feminine ideal that was
drawing from of a "cultivated" Englishwoman and how the texts that women
were allowed access too then were along the lines of say poetry, and
devotional texts rather than reading about say political science or history
and the stories of women who then chose to subvert this. The tricky part
for me in this idea of flattening showed up when the work was finished and
I was meant to then frame it in a context when it was being shared with
curators or galleries that were interested in it.. it is always a struggle
for me to write about my work in general too. I feel I don't have the
language for it and I feel allergic to the jargon often used to frame
contemporary art. For me Sultana's Reality was *An *alternate story of the
relationship between women and books. I was uncomfortable with the idea of
calling it *THE* history of Indian women and the colonial education
movement. For various reasons of course some of them being - Who is an
Indian women? What was "India" anyway? The main text I was drawing from was
a utopian short story called Sultana's Dream (read here
<https://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/sultana/dream/dream.html>) by a
Bengali writer in 1905 called Begum Rokeya Sakhwat Hossien who was at that
time an Indian but is from what is now Bangladesh. And yet I was feeling
the need to define the work in a way that would allow a larger global
audience to situate it somewhere. The ideas in it were so contradictory,
how to frame it in a way that makes it easy to enter? I still feel
unresolved about this and don't know what the way to do this is without
feeling inauthentic.

Another place I was struggling with this idea of flattening was while I was
making the work itself. Since most of my material and research was drawing
from an archive and already existing documented history where it is certain
that there was a heavier representation of an upper class and upper caste
experience as if that was the default or only experience as those stories
are certainly more prominently represented in the archive. The lives and
histories of dalit or tribal women for instance do not always fit into this
narrative and have their own trajectory. How to acknowledge this and make
room for multiplicity? For an artist whose work predominantly centres
around archives, how does one draw from the archive and yet acknowledge the
black holes within it? I don't have blanket answers to this question but
within the form of this particular work one way in which I opened out the
narrative to make it less finite and add an interactive feature where
anyone can submit their own story that then gets added on to the project as
a note.

One more thing I wanted to address was as Dale initiated, the idea of
legibility. As artists, who are you telling this story to/addressing when
you make your work? I always wonder about this when I see work by other
artists too. I remember this being said by Toni Morisson about her book the
bluest eye. When she read writing by many other black writers, she always
wondered why something basic that the community already knows was being
explained in the book. Who was this explanation for? When she went on to
write her first book she did no such thing and intentionally discredited
the white gaze. Not using what the outside world already knows about you as
the starting point to build on. Many parts of my work (jokes, puns,
breaking into Hinglish, particular references to local popular culture)
will not make sense to someone who is not familiar with the world it is set
in. This is not intentional but it is also not something that bothers me
and so I don't censor it. To see a joke about your own world for me as an
Indian Muslim is rare and a juicy moment. When this happens to me in other
work, I love it. Wondering however if that also means that your work will
always be more relevant only to an audience that is closer culturally?

--
www.loveandotheroutdoorgames.tumblr.com