Is this thing on?

Thanks Alenda for coordinating, and thanks all for participating! Derek,
your game sounds wonderful! Is Covfefe island a utopia or dystopia? It's
especially interesting to think about the arguments your bot has been
getting into--at least on the topic of simulation.

I've been doing a genealogy of the term "analog" recently and I want to
share an early moment where the term emerges. As you may or may not know,
there is a long running science-fiction magazine called Analog: Science
Fact/Fiction. It was both the magazine that published some of Asimov's
great pieces, as well as the magazine that first broke "dianetics." This
all was published when the zine was called Astounding Science Fiction, but
in 1960 the editor--a super-conservative dude named John W.
Campbell--renamed it "Analog."  He decided to name the magazine Analog
because he thought that it would be a return to work that was more grounded
in science. As biographer Trevor Quachri notes "[Campbell] chose ‘Analog’
in part because he thought of each story as an ‘analog simulation’ of a
possible future, and in part because of the close analogy he saw between
the imagined science in the stories he was publishing and the real science
being done in laboratories around the world.” I bring this example up
because I think it speaks well to the affordances of analog media as they
sit alongside and often work toward the same ends (for example, simulation)
as digital media.

To this point, I think it's important that there is some symmetry between
the real/virtual and analog/digital. It's interesting to think about what
differentiates an analog vs computer simulation. I want to poke Brent: Is
*Morels* intended as a paper simulation of mushroom hunting, or is it it
intended as entertainment?

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 10:25 AM Derek Curry <derekcurry...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Empyre community, and thank you Alenda for the introduction!
>
> This is an exciting topic for me, as I am very interested in the area
> where games cross into the real and the real becomes mixed up in a game.
> For this post, I will focus on the former, or as Alenda put it, “digital
> games that deliberately cross thresholds into the "real" world”
>
> Alenda mentioned my game WarTweets that was made with Jennifer Gradecki.
> It is a pervasive game that is played through a game interface and on
> Twitter (to play the game, players login using their Twitter account).  The
> gameplay is a simplified version of the game Global Thermonuclear War from
> the 1984 film WarGames.  But, in WatTweets, orange rockets are launched
> every time President Trump tweets. Players intercept the rockets by
> tweeting back to the President. Elements of the game are intended to be
> silly and biting, like the political cartoons of George Grosz or Honoré
> Daumier. For example, the game map is a fictional world with landmarks
> labeled as things Trump has said or tweeted, like “Covfefe Island” or “Grab
> ‘em by the Peninsula.” But the real intent of the game is to promote
> political discourse on a public forum that will become part of the national
> archive. US Courts have ruled that the Presidential Records Act of 1978
> applies to Donald Trump’s personal Twitter account, which means that tweets
> made by @realDonaldTrump are official presidential records. Federal judge
> Naomi Reice Buchwald ruled that President Trump cannot block any Twitter
> users from reading or posting to this account because it is a “designated
> public forum.” This means that tweeting to @realDonaldTrump is a conduit
> for political speech that cannot legally be censored by President Trump,
> and a way for citizens to make their opinions of the Trump administration
> part of the official public record. So, tweets made in the game become part
> of the official public record.
>
> We are well aware that inciting a meaningful or productive debate over
> Twitter (or with President Trump for that matter), is a lofty goal that we
> don’t expect to achieve. But, we do believe that games can create spaces
> for possibilities—and the responses and exchanges we have had with players
> have been thought-provoking. For example, some people become genuinely
> angry, either because they disagree with the politics of the game, which is
> understandable. Or because they have an ideological conviction that games
> should not be overtly political, which to me is reminiscent of arguments
> over the political autonomy of art—though no one has specifically evoked
> Adorno or Kantian aesthetics. While Jennifer and I don’t enjoy making
> people angry, these conversations have been very interesting as we end up
> learning a great deal about what is important to people who are invested in
> the “purity” of games. We were also surprised at how much some people
> [...]

Assistant Professor
Department of Informatics
UC Irvine
732.673.3879
tramm...@uci.edu

My online resume/CV: aarontrammell.com <http://www.aarontrammell.com>

Editor-in-Chief of *Analog Game Studies <http://analoggamestudies.org/>*
Co-Founder and Multimedia Editor of *Sounding Out!: The Sound Studies Blog
<http://www.soundstudiesblog.com>*
Editorial Board: *Games and Culture*
<http://www.sagepub.com/journals/Journal201757/boards#tabview=boards>