Melinda, I just want to echo what Junting has written and thank you for your
story. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to unfold, insecurity seems to be
generalized to the extent that many of us are concerned about our own health,
the health of our families, and the broader impact of the virus on local and
global economies. I really appreciate the way you reflected on your own
treatment for HCV and the moral imperative that seems to have defined the
cultural landscape of this time in your life. Unfortunately, the spike in
xenophobic discrimination and violence that has coincided with this pandemic
seems only to place our current struggle in continuity with your writing on the
eroticization of Ebola and the homophobia surrounding HIV through the Carrier
network (which I am very interested to start looking into after I write this
post).

I think this moment is one in which we can possibly reflect on what is
necessary to our increasingly networked social life, what exactly is surplus or
redundant (forms of “non-essential” work, commodities, and -- as you and
Junting each mention — carbon), and what it means to hold essential commodities
and forms of work in reserve. More importantly, I hope this reflection allows
us to reevaluate precisely how our valuation of certain forms of life often
come at the expense of others. I am profoundly troubled by the story of your
friends and their teenagers in Sri Lanka, who are running out of food and no
doubt dealing with intensifying contagious fear. I am also extremely worried
about the Uber Eats workers who must unfortunately risk greater exposure to
COVID-19 at the expense of those who can afford to hire them through the Uber
platform.

To all on -empyre-, I hope you are doing as well as possible given our current
crisis. As a new member of this platform, it seems vital that we use our
opportunities to communicate with each other not only to share our stories,
research, and growing responses to the pandemic, but also as a place for mutual
care and support.

Cengiz Salman
PhD Candidate
Department of American Culture