Thanks to Alan, Tim, Domenico, Leo, Geert and Ben for sharing their posts thus
far.  Our interrogation of tactics, strategies, utopias for immediate solutions
and long-term utopias continues until Sunday when we introduce a new set of
guests. I invite our guests and subscribers to post freely but it is clear we
have the opposites of two extremes:  tactical intervention or digital
revolution.

Just to review where we are thus far, Ben pointed out that there are two
important concerns to consider: surveillance systems built into online social
platforms and the capitalistic profit algorithms that feed and grow social
media companies. He proposed that many artists have used tactical media
obfuscation interventions to challenge these conventions as well as general
plug ins for consumer use like Go Rando and Not For You to name two.  Leo
shared a net project from 2012, YouAreMe.net, and another URME Surveillance
which seeks to manipulate the materials of identity.

While Ben and Leo believe that obfuscation creates aesthetic/artistic
information this alsoa allows the infestation of big data by proliferating
noise which is likely to encourage critical discussion and engagement.

Domenico responded: “The scale of what we are discussing is huge, considering
the amount of people, billions, interested and influenced by our online day by
day, everyday emotional scrollacoaster.”

She posits a different approach: a call for emotional interrogation into
vanity, ego and culture.  Is it not time to invest a bit into critical digital
thinking? I think about this quite seriously myself especially with the recent
news of US Senator Marjorie Taylor Greene’s rants of QAnon conspiracies that
she learned about via Twitter and You Tube.  She consistently questioned school
mass shootings and instead promoted the fact that they were staged by gun
control activists, she openly endorsed Pelosi’s execution, among other
outlandish beliefs.

There is a never-ending spiral of this round robin of misinformation that
reminds me of the kindergarten game we used to play called “telephone” where
one person says something, whispers it to another, and as it goes around until
the information gets shifted, expanded, blown out of proportion and context.
In the case of the current condition, lives are at stake, governments are in
chaos, election systems are being questioned.

Geert’s five-year proposition seems like the only alternative: abandon the past
and start fresh, develop a culture of refusal, assert political pressure to
break up the monopolies, build a public internet, ban the corporate, pave the
way for the socialization of data centers and ocean cables, and subvert
geo-political regions.

This month we continue to consider algorithms, untruths, and insurrection and
how an environment of cynicism, distrust, and distain has allowed communication
and the network flows to organize, promulgate, and maneuver through the
citizenry in real time.
Looking forward,
Renate

Renate Ferro