hallo all

thanks, Ricardo , for your very considerate response, much appreciated. And I
agree with all you, necessarily, and had almost anticipated that you would
raise these distinctions, but also recommendations on the significance of
recording such encuentros, and the need for access to such workshops/blogs or
documents to those who may not be able to attend many of these workshop or have
dedicated media arts etc,  facilities and studio. From my experience of having
worked in Cuba and Brazil, the differences  in availability of resources were
wide ranging at times and at other times negligible, and in Belo Horizonte we
worked with about 70 participants in a "media lab" that was held in a wonderful
old fashioned theatre in the park - Teatro Francisco Nunes- , the municipal
park being as important to us as the stage.

If you are interested in the 2008 laboratório [Performance e Tecnologias
Interativas] here is a modest documentation:
http://interaktionslabor.de/lab08/index.htm    > workshop

i enjoyed the first  version of Cynthia's posting where she explained the
creative "l' archive recombinante" she was generating after "Layered Histories:
the Wandering Bible of Marseilles".  The limitations of recording
or documenting interactional digital art and performance works are pretty much
expected, and thus inspire various kinds of fantastical 'solutions.'   Some may
indeed also be mundane,  like make up redressing parts of the stuff that could
not be filmed or sound-recorded because of bad lighting conditions etc.  When i
put up a film excerpt from a performance, into the public domain, i try not to
use footage from the actual performance, but only specials we shoot under
different light in the studio. Of course often we don't have the right lights
for these shoots either, when we have combine lighting design for the live
performers with projection design for the digital images/3d worlds.

with Cynthia's last post, i cannot help wondering (and differing) what is
imagined here  and where this will be the case/place, who will have these high
end capturing technologies at their finger tips?
 I sense that this month's discussion is also about unquestioned archival
"privileges,"  if we read Ricardo and what he says about the discussion here
often being perceivable "as mainly North-Western cultures/societies centered,
not in the scope maybe but in the way of understanding other people's contexts."

with regards
Johannes Birringer