Thanks so much for your response Rob! I'm very excited about your work
and I think you're working in a very similar space to the discussion
we've been having. In fact it seems very related to the recent work
I've been doing on Turing's uncomputability as a kind of queer
externality. Your discussion of uncomputability between formal systems
such as language is precisely what interests me. I've recently written
a long history of queer computing for Rhizome that should be published
in September, but Zach, Micha, Pinar and I are also presenting a
series of panels this year on this very topic. My contribution is an
analysis of the interaction that takes place between Ludwig
Wittgenstein and Alan Turing in the Spring of 1939 at Cambridge, when
Turing attends a course Wittgenstein is teaching on the foundations of
mathematics. While the two of them seem incapable of agreeing on the
question of limits of mathematics as a system of logic (that is, the
Entscheidungsproblem), they are both actually making a similar point.
Wittgenstein wants to describe the way in which mathematics is
constructed within language and is therefore burdened by the same
kinds of paradoxes that are of interest to formal logic (the liar's
paradox, zeno's paradoxes, etc.), while Turing wants to argue that the
material nature of mathematical application (the building of bridges,
etc.) would suggest that mathematics is capable of describing true
things about the world, despite the fact that there are limits to such
descriptions, such as uncomputable processes. I would argue that they
are in fact both describing the same thing, and both examining that
which lies beyond the limits of procedural knowledge, something that I
think can be usefully figured as a queer gesture given the subsequent
development of computing technology. While not central to the
argument, it is also interesting that both these men are proto-queer
figures.

Your discussion of "weird machines" also prompted me to think of
Michael Mateas' entry in Matthew Fuller's "Software Studies" lexicon
on "Weird Languages", that is the unique and playful languages
programmers use "to explore and exploit the play that is possible in
programming language design" (267). It seems a very similar practice,
and it seems to walk that same line of a kind of productive breaking
or disruption that serves both as play and parody and as critique.
It's true that this is where these liminal technical objects emerge
from, though of course they might then be redeployed as we've seen
with the recent state sponsored "cyberterrorism" of Stuxnet and Flame.
Nonetheless I'm reminded of Haraway's categorization of cyborgs - and
all computing technology - as the illegitimate offspring of militarism
and patriarchal capitalism that we might make unfaithful to their
troubled origins, only here it is quite the opposite, a reintegration
of these in-between objects into a new kind of productive militarism.
(You'll have to forgive the dated references, I'm teaching an intro to
gender studies course this summer and it tends to bleed through.)

I agree with your contention that we can't separate the early Turing
from the later work. And I would also argue that we can't isolate his
contributions to a kind of queer philosophy to his work in the Turing
Test, interesting though it may be. I look forward to reading the PDF
you send, and I'll respond again when I've had the chance to give it
some thought.

- Jacob